Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

He talks a mile a minute about life and the news.
He giggles about irreverent things. He has a great sense of humor and a really quick wit.
It's hard to believe that my father turns 88 years old today.
Sometimes he'll get on such a rant about politics, I get kind of scared. (I won't discuss those things with him on my cell phone anymore).
Luis is a character. He always has been. I remember him making my mom turn red with the things he'd day to her. He liked teasing. He still does.

One of my fondest memories is the ritual we had when I was little. I would hear when he arrived home from work. The car in the driveway. A door slam. The squeaky screen door opens.
I'd run from wherever I was in the house to greet him.
When I was little, he'd scoop me up in is arms and look me in the eyes, kiss my cheek. He always said these words: "De quien es la reina chula?" (roughly translated, something like who does the pretty little princess belong to).
"De Daddy," I'd say.
To this day, he still asks me that, whether it's in person, on the phone, in birthday or Christmas cards.
I could never have enough space to write or the time to discuss all the wonderful things, beliefs, principles, faith that is my father. He is indeed the greatest man I have ever known.
He also makes one heck of a whisky drink.
Happy Birthday, Daddy.

4 comments:

Motownrunner said...

Happy birthday, papi!

Unknown said...

Happy Numero 88, yuong man!

Amy said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to your dad. He sounds wonderful. It is nice that you know and appreciate these things. My dad drives me insane sometimes but I think that stuff is the stuff we smile about and cherish, not the boring ordinary stuff. Although, I suppose there are many people who would cherish a boring ordinary parent in our crazy world!!

Motownrunner said...

my dad is the reason i became a reporter. he reads everything.