Friday, August 27, 2010

"Punch me in the face if you want, but I promise, things will work out."

Wise words from my pal, Monique Miller.
All this extra time between looking for jobs made me reflect and realize a few things.
The last day I was employed as a professional journalist, Aug. 13, 2010, came 25 years and one day after I walked across the stage at Texas Woman's University in Denton to receive my bachelor's degree.
How ironic was that?
Needless to say, the coincidence took my mind back to certain points throughout my career and life since 1985. I quickly thought about the words of advice I have heard from friends and colleagues since Aug. 13:
--"Your career does not define you."
--"This was not because of something you did."
--"It wasn't personal, but financial. A business decision."
--"Everything happens for a reason."
--"Punch me in the face if you want, but I promise, things will work out." (thanks, precious).
--"I'm here for you." (My God, I'm in awe of you all).
And all of you were right! Thank you for helping me keep my spirits up. You have no idea how much you have helped me.
In two weeks, I have found two contract/freelance opportunities that mean paychecks until November. Both in journalism.
My glass is, as always, half full.
To recap: Jobs applied for so far: Six. Three in print journalism; one in broadcast; two wire services.
So, happy Friday. I'm taking the rest of the day off to work on my tan.

1 comment:

Motownrunner said...

what a great headline. you are clearly a journalist to the core. dude. i know you will be alright. if anyone will, you will. you are tough and amazing, which is why we all love you.