Monday, August 16, 2010

Unemployment, Day One


Circle 30s journey changes again.
In an interesting and abrupt move, the Star-Telegram laid me off last week. I say interesting and abrupt because I didn't see it coming, and neither did my colleagues. Something about being lulled into a false sense of security.
I was just too busy writing stories to really be afraid about it anymore.
Well, I think a few things: 1). I need to find a job fast, so I don't really have time to curl up in a fetal position and cry about it. I really don't, and thank God, I can't. And 2). There's no point in expending that energy on whys, so find a job.
There's an amount of anger that happens when you get called into the boss' office. While you are waiting for something completely different than what ends up being said, in that split second, your mind gives you two choices: get mad, or cry.
I got mad. Thank you Jesus.
So with these latest developments, while I look for a job, I'm going to train for a half marathon. It will keep me away from the computer, clicking on the "check mail" button.
Today is my first day unemployed. I continue applying for unemployment online (this takes some time, I see), and I have already applied for three jobs. By the end of the day, I'll have four miles logged.
Today, on Unemployment, Day One, I hurry up and wait, ponder finding jobs, while I walk, run and write about it.
So if you are an old reader of Circle30, the journey has changed again. If you are a new reader, welcome. Tell me about yours.

No comments: