Saturday, May 12, 2007

Pothole

On the trail at the half-mile mark.
I saw it as I was about to step in it, but it was too late. I thought to myself shit, I'm gonna go down.
So down I went, in slow motion, and rolled over the right ankle.
Puncture on left palm. Slightly skinned and bruised inside of the right elbow. Bruised the ankle.

I can't even type the words I said in that very moment, half a mile into a 20-mile run.
Wouldn't take the shoe off, either. I knew it would blow right up if I did.
I have to say thanks to Sarah, who ran with me and just kept saying to shake it off and that everything would be OK. That nudge really helped.
I was so pissed off that I just ran. I knew I just had to go. Finish.
I didn't feel any pain so I kept up the 4-1 intervals.
After I got my groove back, it didn't seem too bad.
I did my 20 miles in 4:45 and I feel great.
This will not stop me.

Going to spend lots of time in ice baths for this foot. The good news is that the knee problem did not surface. Yeay!
Only 22 more days.

13 comments:

Motownrunner said...

awesome on the 20 miles. your foot looks bad dawg. get some ice on it. that's awesome you and sarah ran together. can you smell victory??? tim's doing his 80 mile bike ride today, the equivalent of your 20-miler. i feel like such a slackah. maybe today we'll win at soccer. have a great day!

Al Durham said...

20 miles on a rolled ankle! That is what I call a training run. Way to tough it out a finish. If you can make it thorugh that the marathon will be easy.

Motownrunner said...

we tied!!! it's ALL GOOD!!

Amy said...

I have rolled, sprained, and twisted my ankle a few times. I find it helps to get one of those neoprene or the stretch sleeves to put around it if you are going to keep running. I usually ice it for a couple days and stay off it and then run with that on, it just gives a little extra support. I have a funny pothole story for you but I will email it to you b/c it will be too long and Al will make fun of me.

Amy said...

btw, i made a comment yesterday wishing you luck and it didn't show up. and is that purple toe polish Liz?? I just happen to be watching "What Not to Wear". Kidding. I would love being the host of a show like that but would probably make people cry

liz said...

yes, it's purple toe polish for TNT!!
thanks y'all, for all the kind words, wisdom and advice. yes, amy, please send me the story!

Al Durham said...

Post the story Amy. If the story is good I will not make fun of you.

World of Isaac said...

i cant believe you finished 20 miles on a bum ankle...makes me feel lazy

Unknown said...

It's amazing how one body part gets better when another starts to falter! Great job on finishing your twenty! Like I always tell people, "it only hurts every other step".....

Madge - I like that Randy Jackson mention, '..yo, yo dawg'.

TNT Coach Ken

Amy said...

M keeps calling me "dawg" too.

liz said...

dawg is happenin'!

Amy said...

I think I like "dude" better. "Dawg" is too manly. I feel like I need to start scratching and spitting....

Motownrunner said...

amy (dawg) don't you do that already??

hey, i've noticed you alll are migrating to liz's site. i actually think liz's site is awesome but as a journalist with competitive tendencies, i'm wondering why my readership is declining. is the competition taking away my readers? should i start posting pictures of paris hilton and lindsey lohan on my page? maybe i haven't posted about running lately....soccer posts isn't cutting it for you guys?? my musings about bengay making you queasy?? sigh....in any case, it's all good. i think i'm reading liz's page more too lately. sigh...